- Book Reviews
- About me
Welcome to the online home of Tim Challies, blogger, author, and book reviewer.
5 Great Blogs (That Aren't On My BlogRoll)
August 01, 2004
There are more good blogs than I know what to do with. When I first began my site I linked to just about every site I felt was worth reading. I found, though, that the more sites I listed, the less the list meant. If I was willing to list everyone I came across, the it really didn’t mean much. So slowly I began to cull the list of names, cutting it down to less than half. I wanted to make sure that I listed only those sites that meant a lot to me - sites that have really touched me. The list is currently 11 names long. Beyond that there is a short group of friends I actually know (not to insinuate that I don’t find their blogs meaningful - I link to them because they are friends, not because of their content). I visit each of the sites on my list every day.
Now there is a problem with my insistence on keeping a tight list - it means that I hesitate to add any more sites. There are some other sites out there that I’d love to add, but I really don’t want to have one of those sites that has a list 50, 80 or 120 names long. Some of those sites are easily worthy of a daily visit - but I’m at a crossroads of whether I should keep my BlogRoll to a short, compact list or whether I should expand it. So while I decide, I am going to say thank you to some of the writers whose work has impacted me by linking you in this post (and I’ll thank some others next week).
- Dead Man Blogging - This could be one of my top blogs, if only the author (Robert) woud update it a little more. He has been updating on only a weekly basis recently. If he starts updating again I’ll almost definitely add it to my list.
- TulipGirl - It seems I am one of the few bloggers who has not linked TulipGirl. Maybe it’s because she writes about motherhood (and breastfeeding and so on) just a little bit too much for my comfort! She is Reformed, friendly and personal and updates on a near-daily basis. I can’t think of a good reason not to add her to my list…
- Sovereign God Blog - Here’s another classic example of a site with great content that just doesn’t get updated enough. The posts that are there are Biblically and theologically sound and always make me think.
- What In Tarnation - Another great site that gets updated often. Christopher is a third-grade teacher and always has great things to share, generally either about Christianity or technology.
- What Is This - I used to link to this blog but somehow the link disappeared. Obviously I never put it back. James writes about life - generally updating every couple of days. He is like me and likes to change the look of his site every couple of months!