Aileen (Tim’s wife) here! After Tim wrote 18 Things I Will Not Regret Doing With My Kids and 18 Things I Will Not Regret Doing With My Wife quite a few people got in touch to ask if he would round it out with an article by a wife for her husband. He hadn’t intended to do that when he began writing, but thought it would make sense to close out the little series that way. Tim asked me if I would be willing to take it on. I am kind of a reluctant writer, but decided to take the challenge (with the agreement that he wouldn’t change everything I said!).
So here are 18 things I will not regret doing with my husband.
1. Dating him. Because Tim is a pastor, Monday is usually his day off. But like most days off, our Mondays are usually filled with chores (and in his case, writing). But one thing we always try to do is to get away from the house and go out for some time and some lunch. I will never regret setting aside that time to be together.
2. Cooking. Well, Tim mostly watches, but some of my sweetest memories come from him pulling a chair into the kitchen to hang out with me while I prepare dinner in the evening (I think he does it totally subconsciously too!). Friday nights is our pizza and movie night and Tim usually pitches in and we make the pizza together. I love these moments and will never regret that time spent cooking together.
3. Praying with him. I love praying with my husband. I love hearing him pray because I see so much of his heart when I listen to him speaking to the Lord. I will never regret prioritizing the times praying with him.
4. Freeing him to serve. This has been a struggle in our marriage and there have been times I have resented how much time and attention his pastoring takes. Freeing up Tim to serve our church not just by allowing him to go, but by believing in the necessity and benefit of his ministry to the church allows him to function as he should in the position God has given him. He is a better elder, husband and father when he feels this freedom. I know I will never regret freeing him up to serve.
5. Kissing him goodnight. Tim and I usually go to bed at the same time and pray together before we fall asleep. Too often it is easy, at the end of a long day, to simply roll over and go to sleep. But that goodnight kiss is such a sweet, simple way of showing affection. I will never regret kissing my husband goodnight.
6. Working together on projects. From the time we began dating, Tim and I have worked together on events or projects. From home improvement projects, running companies together, or promoting concerts and conferences, we have always worked well together. The time spent working together for a common goal has only strengthened our marriage. Working together is something I will never regret.