- Book Reviews
- About me
Welcome to the online home of Tim Challies, blogger, author, and book reviewer.
Books I Recommend: Prayer
Few things expose our inadequacy more than our anemic prayer lives and for that reason the Christian market is constantly inundated with books on prayer. Here are some of my top recommendations for books on the subject of prayer.
A Praying Life by Paul Miller.ler.
Perhaps the greatest strength of this book is Miller’s unrelenting emphasis that prayer cannot be an add-on to the Christian life; it cannot be supplemental but must always be instrumental. This book will equip you to understand prayer properly and, on that firm foundation, to commit yourself to it, with confidence that God is willing and able to hear and answer your prayers.
- Prayer by Tim Keller - This is a wonderful book that dives deep into the history of Christianity to find both a theology and practice of prayer.
- Praying Backwards by Bryan Chapell - This book majors on praying in Jesus’ name and trusting the power of the Holy Spirit.
- The Prayer of the Lord by R.C. Sproul - Sproul looks to The Lord’s Prayer and uses it as our model.
- In Light of Eternity by Mack Tomlinson - Sometimes the best way to renew our love of prayer is to read about a Christian who loved to pray. Consider this biography of Leonard Ravenhill.
- It Happens After Prayer by H.B. Charles - I really enjoyed this short, simple, practical book.
You may also benefit from reading other people’s prayers.