It is inevitable that each of us will suffer in this sin-stained world; we often need help to get through our suffering and need to arm ourselves up in anticipation of future suffering. Here are books I recommend on the subject of suffering.
- Surprised By Suffering by R.C. Sproul. Sproul writes about a wide variety of topics relating to suffering and death, with the first half of the book looking at life leading up to death and the second half looking at life after death.
- Suffering and the Sovereignty of God edited by John Piper. A variety of authors contributed to this conference that was turned into a book.
- Does Grace Grow Best in Winter? by Ligon Duncan. A short but good book based on lectures.
- Christians Get Depressed Too by David Murray. Help for those who struggle with depression.
- Tempted and Tried by Russell Moore. Sometimes our suffering is related to temptation.
- Polishing God’s Monuments by Jim Andrews. This book intersperses narrative with teaching, experience with theology.